Safe & Together
Registration Now Open!
5th Annual Safe & Together Symposium
with Core Practice Training
Symposium – September 21-22, 2017
Pre-Symposium – September 20, 2017
Core Practice Training – September 18-20, 2017
St. Anthony Hotel, San Antonio, Texas
Welcome to the 5th National Safe and Together Symposium. After an extremely successful 2016 event, we are excited to announce that this year’s symposium will have following areas of focus:
- Real Strength: Adult Survivors’ Protective Capacities as Parents
- Voices of Children: Adult Child Survivors and Their Experiences
- Working with Men as Parents: Practicing as if Men’s Choices Matter to Child and Family Functioning
- Moving Texas Forward: Advancing Domestic Violence-Informed Practice Across the Lone Star State
What can you expect this September?
- Practice and policy-specific training about the intersection of domestic violence and child maltreatment
- How the Safe and Together™ model can enhance collaboration in communities where co-located domestic violence advocates or specialists work inside child welfare agencies
- National experts on children exposed to violence
- Opportunities to discuss harm, resilience and healing for children
- Using a perpetrator pattern-based approach to understanding child safety
Where will the Symposium be this year?
Held in San Antonio Texas at the luxurious St. Anthony’s hotel (walking distance to the River Walk and Alamo), we know this year’s symposium will be a wonderful opportunity to learn, share ideas and develop collaborative opportunities while enjoying all that San Antonio has to offer. Learn More about San Antonio. We are pleased to announce that the St. Anthony Hotel will offer a discounted nightly room rate of $179 for our guests! See below for more information of make your reservation here.
Who should attend?
The Safe and Together Symposium is designed for both professionals experienced with the model as well as those attending Safe and Together model training for the first time. The Symposium audience includes child welfare frontline workers, supervisors, managers/administrators; child welfare attorneys; domestic violence advocates, counselors, administrators; policy makers; researchers; judges; Guardians ad Litem, CASAs; home visitors; mental health and substance abuse professionals; fatherhood program staff; and/or batterer intervention providers. Participants should be interested in enhancing safety for children, developing responsible fatherhood practices, supporting survivors of domestic violence and intervening with perpetrators of domestic violence.
Choose from a full week of training and workshop options:
Safe & Together Model Core Practice Training (NEW)
September 18-20 / 8am – 5pm / Breakfast & Lunch provided
The Safe and Together Model’s foundational skills training, has been significantly redesigned and updated based on feedback from participants and sites around the globe. The Core Practice Training has been delivered to child welfare, domestic violence advocates, batterer intervention professionals, police and family service providers nationally and internationally for more than five years as a foundation to supporting Domestic Violence-Informed practices and systems change. Join the first open-enrollment Core Practice Training in San Antonio BEFORE the Safe and Together Symposium!
Held on Monday – Wednesday from 8:00am – 5:00pm at the St. Anthony Hotel, with breakfast and lunch provided, the redesigned Core Practice Training will include:
- Skills-based training goals: assessment, interviewing, documentation and case planning
- More experiential learning using practice tools and exercises
- Videos demonstrating interviewing with perpetrators, partnering with survivors and engaging children
- Greater emphasis on complex, multi-issue cases
- Greater emphasis on intersectionality
- Certificate of 22 training hours (NASW CECs pending)
- Learn More about the Core Practice Training
September 20 / 9am – 4pm / Breakfast & Lunch provided
(Choose to attend a full day skills-based training)
- The Safe and Together Model: This introductory course will provide an overview of the model’s Principles, Critical Components and some basic practice skills around perpetrator pattern-based risk assessment, case mapping and impact on children. This full-day course is recommended for anyone new to the Safe & Together model.
- Enhancing Advocacy: Improving outcomes for survivors and their children involved in the child welfare system has been part of the ongoing mission for domestic violence advocates. This full-day training will highlight some key topics from the Advocacy Institute, such as shared language with child welfare, pivoting and mapping survivors’ strengths. Anyone is welcome.
- Interviewing Perpetrators to Promote Child Safety: This advanced full-day training will cover how a foundation of a perpetrator pattern-based, behavior focused, gender responsive, non-judgmental approach can be effective when working with domestic violence perpetrators from all different backgrounds. Those attending are recommended to have had some exposure to the Safe & Together Model previously.
September 21-22 / 9am – 4pm / Breakfast & Lunch provided
The following is a tentative outline of workshops and plenaries that will be offered at the Safe and Together Model Symposium. A complete agenda will be published soon.
- Research on the importance of partnering with adult survivors around the safety and well being of children
- Experiences from adult children exposed to domestic violence and research on resiliency
- Discussions on male parental development and its importance to working with men as parents
- Texas specific workshops for child protection, domestic violence advocates, batterer intervention and prevention program staff and others
- Workshops on Safety Organized Practice, Structured Decision Making and Safe and Together
- … AND MORE WORKSHOPS BEING ADDED IN COMING WEEKS!
Register 5 from your agency/community to the Symposium and your 6th registration is FREE*
Safe and Together Institute Free Members receive a 5% discount on all rates.
Click here to register for your free basic membership and get your discount code
Book your room at the St. Anthony Hotel:
We are pleased to announce that this popular downtown hotel will offer a DISCOUNTED room rate of $179 per night for our guests!
- Click here for DISCOUNTED room rate!
- Call 866-716-8136 and mention Safe & Together Symposium
- $179 per night until August 25, 2017
Plan your trip to San Antonio:
- The St. Anthony Luxury Hotel
- Visiting San Antonio
- View Google Maps Here
- Hotel is 8 miles from airport (estimates $36 round trip cost)
- Hotel Parking $39 per night
Full Agenda Coming Soon!
– Core Practice Training (Mon-Wed) run from 8:00am – 5:00pm
– Symposium and Pre-Symposium (Wed-Fri) run from 9:00am – 4:00pm
– Breakfast and Lunch will be provided every day
– CECs and OVW Grantee approval are currently in process
– Core Practice Training is NOT a prerequisite to Symposium
*Agency/Community Development Registration Special
Safe & Together Institute will provide one free symposium registration for every five registrations from within an agency and/or a community. For more information, contact Kay Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Event Information
Payment by credit card, Paypal, check or PO. To use a purchase order or to request a W-9 contact Kay Stevenson at email@example.com orext.108. Make all checks payable to: David Mandel & Associates LLC. Mail them to: David Mandel & Associates LLC PO Box 745 Canton CT 06019.
General Event Information & PO registrations
Kay Stevenson, Business Manager
Safe and Together Institute
(860)319-0966 x108 / firstname.lastname@example.org